- 500 grams Boneless Mutton
- 1 cup chana dal
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric/powder
- 10 cloves garlic
- 2 inch Ginger
- 3 green chillies finely chopped
- ¼ pecans finely chopped
- 3 spring mint leaves/pudina
- Salt as required
- Oil as needed
- 4 Red Chillies
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 5 Cloves
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 2 Cardamom
- ½ teaspoon shahi jeera
- 2 black cardamom
- To begin making the Mutton Shami Kebab recipe, wash and soak chana dal for minimum 1-2 hours.
- Wash mutton pieces nicely and pressure cook it with soaked chana dal, turmeric powder, salt ginger, garlic and whole spices.
- Once the mutton is done, pass it through a colander and collect the stock in a separate bowl which you can use later to make any mutton curry.
- Collect the cooled mutton and dal mix in a grinder jar and grind to make a fine dough. The dough may look fibrous because of the meat.
- Add finely chopped onion, chopped green chillies, chopped mint and coriander and mix nicely till everything incorporates well.
- Heat a wide pan and grease it with 1-2 tablespoon oil.
- Pinch a lemon sized ball from the mutton mix and flatten it to shape a round disk.
- Similarly make rest of the kebabs and shallow fry from both sides in a wide pan till they turn dark brown in colour.
- Mutton Shami Kebabs are a perfect snack option during Ramadan and also a great side dish with Chicken Biryani. Serve with onion rings, lemon and dhaniya pudina chutney.
by Chef Sabir, Banquet Tandoor Chef at Jaypee Greens Golf and Spa Resort.